I am chugging along into my 3rd trimester and we decided to celebrate by taking a babymoon to Hawaii! This trip was so important to us as a family of 3 (about to be 4). We wanted to relax, escape the cold of Colorado, and enjoy our little guy, Charlie, as much as possible. And we did just that!
I loaded up our Birch Bag with all the essentials like snacks, toys, games, and a few surprises to keep him entertained on the plane. We also brought his favorite quilt for on the plane and for nighttime at the Airbnb so he could snuggle up for a nap with a comfort item. Here is just some of what we brought:
- Water Wow Reusable Coloring books
- Gel Window Stickers (Charlie loves these)
- An iPad and headphones
- Reusable bags filled with snacks and fruit
- And lots of other random toys and surprises from the Target Dollar Section I could pull out in case he got antsy.
Once we landed on the island of Oahu, we were in pure relaxation mode. We drank coffee, ate açaí bowls, swam in the ocean every day, and just enjoyed our time together! Here are a few places we stopped!
- Green World Coffee Farm : Great coffee and great for kiddos to roam around on the property!
- Haleiwa Bowls : Amazing smoothies and açaí bowls. We ate here more times then I am willing to admit. ;)
- Leonard's Malasada Truck : Picture hot, fresh Portuguese donuts covered in sugar. We liked the food truck more than the store front because there was no line and it was walking distance from our Airbnb (double win).
- We spent most beach days on an Air Force Station beach because my husband is military and we have access with our IDs. BUT a great little spot to swim with a toddler is the Ko'Olina Lagoon near the Disney Aulani Resort. Very calm waters and a clean beach area.
- Dole Plantation: We rode the Pineapple Express train with Charlie and then all shared a Dole Whip...highly recommend.
A few more food recommendations I have are:
- Haleiwa Joe's (get the catch of the day)
- Island Snow
- Maui Brewing Co.
- Wailua Bakery (delicious cookies and fresh lemonade)
We spent the second half of our trip up on the North Shore. It was a little crowded this time of year with a surf competition going on but this side of the island is typically less busy when we've visited Oahu before. We loved staying on the North Shore with Charlie because we could drive past the massive waves and see lots of chickens roaming around. We even snuck in a hike between all the eating and beach bumming. It was not too hard for being 7 months pregnant and lugging around our 2 year old!
'Ehukai Pill Box Hike
I am so grateful for this trip with our family! Traveling with little ones isn't always easy but it is so very rewarding! Now it's time to have a few more snow days in Colorado and wait for baby sisters arrival.
Check out our other blog posts on traveling with little ones: